Really, the majority of the work was finished as of saturday night. Sunday afternoon, we headed down to Lowes and picked up a 5 pound bucket of 2" deck screws and found some foam floor tiles that should hopefully help keep a fair amount of chalk and such off the carpet.
We brought all the plywood panels up, and only had to slightly adjust 2 of the 2x4s (apparently we hadn't quite put them up perfectly to measurement) for all the t-nut holes to be clear of them. A few hours later, the boards were all up. It was quickly established that the boards are really
on there. They're totally solid, and don't move at all. Leslie quickly set up a few test holds, and it was established that the T-nut system was working fine, and that the wall was, indeed, solid.
I then got to set the first route! It's going to be interesting finding ways to do lots of different types of routes with this setup. I'm contemplating doing a small half-size ceiling panel, but for that I'm really going to need to get a crash pad. Leslie tried out the route and got angry at it.
As I started setting a second route, I realized that I needed to start actually marking the routes, and was having trouble finding tape that stuck to the wall. Duct tape stuck to the wall, but it quickly becomes hard to differentiate grey duct tape from... grey duct tape. I started out by using fiber tape, which was sticky but clear, and then putting colored electrical tape on it. However, that was a painfully slow process, and in the end, really didn't stick that well. So, tonight, after spending the day skiing, I went to Michael's art supply with Cary and picked up a bunch of different colors of duct tape. The duct tape works much better, and is much more visible besides. Here's the wall as it stands now, with two routes up, and my bedroom mostly cleaned up from the mess of building the thing.
At this point, I just need to let my hands heal for a day or two, and then get back to setting more routes and start really using it. Today, I woke up to go skiing at 7am, and most of the fingers on my right hand hurt like holy hell to move, presumably as a result of doing all the crimpy routes yesterday, as well as drilling a few hundred screws into the wall. Several advil, lots of painful stretching, and an hour later, it was a good bit better, but it's still sore. No pain, no gain.